Thursday 3 February 2011

TYPE OF THRILLER

My group decided to do a Psycological thriller for our final production. I was content with this idea as I am fond of how this type of thriller is potrayed.
I love the fact that a Pyscological conveys an unstable individual in a way that the audience know how the characters minds work however, they are unable to understand them some times. Psycological Thrillers keeps the viewer thinking 'Why is this character doing this?' they wonder if the character has suffered from a traumatising event in the past. In my opinion, this is the best thing to do when creating a film. The audience tend to pay more attention in the attempt to know more of the character. This genre of thriller is mind teasing, it is possible that the audience would even watch the movie again as they are so shocked of what a human being can do and furthermore, discuss their views of the character to their friends. Entertaining and Educational in a way!

My curiousity on Pyscological thrillers made me look in to different movies of this sub genre. Since I am the actress in our mini clip, I had to learn more about these type of characters in order to portray it in my own film.


Black Swan- 'Nina' : By watching parts of 'Black Swan' i was able to know more of what a character with pyscological distress should be like. Nina is a ballet dancer’s metamorphosis into the “Black Swan”. Behind the movie’s freaky facade lies a profound commentary on the cost of fame, the sacrifice of artists and the hidden forces behind the shady world of high-stakes entertainment. We will look at the occult symbolism of the movie and its themes relating to the dark side of show business.
Studying Natalie Portmans character made me understand that there is a story behind a metally confused individual played in these type of thrillers. In this case, Nina is dark side is battling with her current good side portraying two people in one.

In order for me to portray this in just a two minute movie opening I think that it is best for me to show that the character is pyscologically distressed rather than building up the story, this way the audience is familliar with some of the characters antics.
I've also noticed the blank facial expressions on the characters face. Take 'The StepFather' as an exmple - he does not smile at the begining of the movie. It is asthough these type of people do not have emotions, they do not see what they do wrong. In order to potray this- the character in our movie must carry on as 'normal' when something drastic has occured.



 [Natalie Portmans role in 'Black Swan' - the character in the mirror shows the lack of emotion that a psycological thriller's main character usually show.]
      

No comments:

Post a Comment