An important point to consider when making a film is your target audience. Who watches thrillers?
1. How many suspense films were released in 2009? How many films were released altogether last year?
In 2009, out of 503 films released, only 31 were thrillers.
2. Action, animation and comedy account for 52% of Box Office in the UK in 2009. Why do you think these genres are so popular?
Mainly because it is children and teenagers that go to watch these movies, and when you look at the figures for thriller movies you can see the huge difference. This is primarily down to age restrictions on thriller films.
3. Why do you think Thrillers account fro quite a low proportion of UK Box Office takings (4% in 2009)?
Primarily due to age restrictions.
4. Looking at the 'genre by gender' diagram above, what information can be derived about Thriller audiences and gender?
Thriller is seen as a more male genre due to the inclution of action and crime in them, however, they do also include suspense, which by what the diagram tells us is more a female than a male thing to go and watch.
5. Look at the age certificate for 10 of the films featured on the teaching blog. What does this tell you about Thriller audiences?